Monday, April 1, 2013

Tompkins Ch. 7

Chapter 7 talks about expanding student's knowledge of words. The role of a teacher provides daily opportunities for students to read books independently and listen to them read aloud. Teachers use sustained silent reading, interactive read-aloud and think-aloud techniques to improve student word knowledge. Now teachers categorize unfamiliar words intro 3 categories: basic words, academic words, and  specialized words. Word walls are a great way to divide words for student understanding. When it comes to tier 2 words, teachers use explicit instruction and a variety of word-study activities. Word maps are a great visual way to teach new words. Teachers are key in supporting students' development of word-learning strategies. What word learning strategies are, is that they are learning strategies that include using context clues, analyzing word parts, or checking a dictionary for meaning. Word play is another way for teachers to encourage students to learn new words. Unfortunately I do not have a book club novel yet, so that part of the blog I will be unable to post.

1 comment:

  1. In my placement, I have seen interactive read-alouds and think-alouds used with the students during reading time. The read and think- alouds tend to focus more on concepts of print and building up sight-words than on building up vocabulary. I have seen a word map used once to help the students figure out what they can do at the beach, which helped solidify their concept of the beach, but not their ability to define what a beach is. I think these strategies have the potential to be very effective when used in the right way. Sometimes, I think the focus is too much on keeping ideas simple because the students are only kindergartners, that many opportunities to build up vocabulary are missed.

    ReplyDelete