Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Garman Reading Lesson 1 and 2 Overview




The target area I have chosen for my lessons is phonological awareness skills. After having a discussion with my mentor teacher, as well as having observed the students often during their reading and writing lessons, it came to my attention that all of the students would benefit from more practice in developing this area. In addition, I also was able to give the students an end of quarter assessment for report cards, which helped me in choosing who to work with for these lessons. 

For my first lesson, I plan to work with two students who are in the more beginning stages of developing phonological awareness. These two students are still learning their alphabet letters and also struggle with their letter sounds (based on discussion with mentor teacher as well as assessments given). Because of this, I thought these two students would benefit from an activity and mini-lesson that would focus on phoneme-letter matching. 

The second lesson will be planned for two students who are further along in their development, and will focus on segmenting and blending sounds together. These two students I will be working with have demonstrated that they know their entire alphabet, as well as their letter sounds (with minor confusion at times). These students are ready to begin developing strategies to decode words, which will help them with their reading and writing development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment