1. What am I learning about the new literacy I am researching?
The definition of literacy that I posted is different from that of visual literacy in that my definition focuses on words- understanding, writing, speaking, and reading. Visual literacy, however, is the process of understanding through picture only with minimal words.
Viewing is a major part of visual literacy, as you must depend on your sight in order to begin to comprehend .
From using this literacy, I have learned that there can be other senses besides sight that help a person understand visual literacy.
For my students in my classroom, they would need to have the vocabulary necessary to describe the picture. Being able to describe the picture and tell a coherent story would be skills needed. To help them develop this, questions such as "what is happening in this picture? who is doing what? what do you think will happen next?" will help scaffold and allow students to work on developing story telling skills.
2. What am I learning about how my digital literacy is developing as I use a new technology to create my product?
The digital storytelling technology we are using is useful for teaching because it allows students to be creative and share their ideas in multiple different ways.
I think it might be especially challenging to make a story without words since so often stories depend on the words to convey meaning.
This technology is limited in allowing the audience to interact because they can read the story and react to it, but there is not really any place for them to respond. The technology lends itself to younger aged students by having simple features that allow them to create their own stories, but is limiting in communicating ideas because it does not allow voice-overs or showing how to use the technology. That is why it might be useful to use Jing to show how to use the storytelling features more explicitly.
No comments:
Post a Comment